VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 12:26:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In Praise of slapt-update-notifier-d  (Read 886 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: June 27, 2009, 06:22:51 pm »

I would like to comment on the  slapt-update-notifier-d. I read in this
forum that some people think it is not such a good idea or not needed or
what else. To that I must say I think it is an excellent idea. My good-woman
which is a complete newcomer to a computer is able to update programs all by
herself once I showed her what to do when that indicater shows up on the
panel and as long she remembers the root password.

Strangely it never shows on my panel. Anyhow, I don't need it.

So please keep it in VL it is very good for newbies.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 06:33:22 pm »

I also like the feature.  On reading Pita's note, I realized i had a red dot, hovered the mouse over it and read that "Updates are available".  This makes the second time that I have initiated it = otherwise, I would not have known to do it.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 07:25:37 pm »

I am one of those who detest it and I've turned it off. I don't object to keeping it in VL because it's true that the "computerly challenged" need automatic things or their systems are liable to go without necessary updates. I just like to have choice and if I can turn things on and off, that's good enough for me.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:14:37 am »

I really like the feature as well.  It makes the update process as automated and simple as it is in the "major" distros.  As GrannyGeek points out it is really easy to turn off if you don't like it.

There are some people out there who want VL to remain true to it's Slackware roots.  If you read last week's interview with Vector (Robert) it was never meant to be that way.  The purpose of VL from the start was an easy to install, easy to use distro that preserves all the Slackware goodness.  I think that the notifier brings the distro much closer to those goals.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: