VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: gdm is gone  (Read 1830 times)

ThomasSlowig

gdm is gone
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:31:05 am »

Hello,

after setting up my laptop properly so that everything would work and beautifying my desktop, and having nothing more to do,  i chose to install kde 3.5 to have sth new to play on. after a while, i decided that it would look too outdated (in my opinion), althugh being very fast, and i removed it.
unfortunately, the KDM would not be replaced by the GDM again. (i think it's my fault, since i messed up a bit too much maybe) so that every time i boot, there appears a terminal in front of the bootsplash greeting me with some kind of animal. i log in and in order to continue to xfce4, i need to enter "startx" OR "startxfce4".
trying to select gdm via vasm i get the news that i've got to log out, switch to root terminal, and call init 2 and 5 in order to make it run. these kind of cryptic commands do not work. there is not command called "init" terminal stated.
however, i tried to set up again everything via vasm in command line(as root, having no gui active), but no result so far.

What could i probably do to get gdm or auto-login to xfce back?
It seems to me that x is not started after bootup? (just a guess)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:19:10 am by ThomasSlowig »

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: gdm is gone
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:31:13 am »

Vasm -> Xwindow -> Xdmset
Select gdm there

stretchedthin

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Opensourcebistro.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 07:09:31 am »

Alternatively, you could do this...
Preventing KDM from Hijacking your Login Manager
Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 07:36:12 am »

That is exactly what vasm does... simple a shortcut to editing the files manually

ThomasSlowig

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 08:37:53 am »

hey, thank you, it works!
i already tried the vasm solution, as i wrote, but without success.
i think sometimes it's best to do things directly, in case one has the knowledge...
anyway, moreover now for the first time all desktop environments are recognized by gdm.