VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 01:26:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6 Std - Love it!  (Read 4898 times)
larkl

« on: June 28, 2009, 03:20:06 am »

Bought a 'new' PC on Ebay (2 gig RAM, 160 gig HD, 2.6 gHz).  Set up dual boot with XP and VL6.  Had been using VL5.8Std on an older PC for a couple of years.  I wanted to set up a huge shared partition with XP.  I was pleased to see NTFS capability with VL, made it much easier. 

The new install front-end was great.  VL found all the hardware, no problem.  Then spent half a day getting the drivers for the network card, usb, sound that XP couldn't configure.  Unbelievable!  Linux hardware recognition trumps windows.  We've come a long way since my first distro (RedHat 6).  Of course then another hour with the virus program for XP - blah, blah. 

Even found a web site that helped me move my Thunderbird and Firefox profiles to the shared partition, so all my bookmarks and e-mails are visible in both OS's.  Had to make one revision to /etc/nsswitch.conf, adding wins to the hosts line to get netBIOS resolution to work correctly on the home network.  A bit of smb.conf revisions and I'm in great shape.  Thanks for the great distro.   
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:44:11 am »

Nice work.  Smiley

I also used a shared partition between W2K and VL in a transition period. Kind of a security blanket I guess, but after a few months I found a better use for the windows partition.   Wink
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 07:26:37 am »

Linux hardware support has come a HUGE way. I started with red-hat 5.0 and I remember having to basically buy hardware off the supported list and build the machine in advance to run linux. I was curious enough that I didn't mind at the time.

One thing that always surprises me now is all the live dvd or live-cd projects that will load up, install all the proper drivers and everything and just works, its amazing to me since I remember fighting for days to get red-hat and other distros working right back in the day... now it takes any modern distro a minute or so...

Lets hope it only gets better with time...

I also love that vector can read/write windows hard drives myself. Good luck with your new box...

Steven

borgio3

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 11:50:50 am »

I would share with you my good experience with VectorLinux. First i'm sorry for my very bad english.

My VL installation was made along others four Linux distros. My fear was to safe my GRUB bootloader, as VL LILO bootloader isn't a good bootloader.
My only choice was to not install LILO, and edit my GRUB menu list after the installation. This method ended successfully and now i have my VL along Ubuntu, Dreamlinux, Mint, and BIG Linux.
No hardware compatibility issues, nor applications failures. All works very well, smoothly and with a very small footprint on my computer. I love so much this distro!

With VL i edit web page, listen to music, watch movie, surf the web and edit small graphic files. Exactly the same tasks that i do with other Linux distros.

In about 20 minutes i set up my cellphone connection with Chestnut (however, once connected to web, i installed wvdial that's much more easy to manage with cellphone). All applications that i need to my work, was present and one hour later the installation, i worked with my new, and amazing VectorLinux distro. Fantastic!

Finally i want to thank all developers and contributors.
Thank you so much! :-)
CrazyDog

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 06:21:52 am »

Just a quick note to say that Vector 6.0 is the absolute best distro out there.  I have a relatively new laptop (only 1 year old), and have run every major distro on it but keep coming back to Vector.  Ubuntu seems to have some bugs, freezes up, and I don't know why it is so popular.  Maybe Vector will move up in rank and more people will discover it.

I do hope that the emphasis on it being primarily for legacy hardware will be dimished, as it absolutely flies on my laptop.  Having all of the extras, including firewall, is a real plus too.  All of your hard work is greatly appreciated - I know it must not be an easy undertaking.

Many thanks-
CrazyDog
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:29:29 pm »

I do hope that the emphasis on it being primarily for legacy hardware will be dimished, as it absolutely flies on my laptop.  Having all of the extras, including firewall, is a real plus too. 

I've been urging less emphasis on being for legacy hardware for years! VectorLinux IS great for legacy hardware and can make it usable for far longer than it would be running Windows or a "heavy" Linux distro. However, as you point out, VL is wonderfully speedy on newer hardware, plus it's very configurable and you can easily create a customized system.

>> Vector 6.0 is the absolute best distro out there. >>

I like it so much that I don't bother trying anything else and haven't since VectorLinux 4.something. It was great then and gets better with every release.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 01:33:38 pm »

One pleasant surprise I've had with the latest Standard is how well sources compile on it, even of old and obsolete packages. For example, I've never been able to compile the Vtwm window manager on any earlier version of Vector.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 04:55:41 pm »

Grannygeek, I ran vector on ancient  hardware for years just because it was promoted to be good for older hardware. My last vector box was an 800mhz
pentium 3, which ran rings around my faster windows pc for most common tasks. I'm in the middle of putting vector on 2 matching 500mhz p3's someone gave me Thats 3 pc's saved from the dumpster with vector, all running nicely on my home network.  Vector even ran nice on an old dual processor 200mhz pentium pro server box I had for awhile. I got a 433mhz celleron also, which also runs vector nice.

I think its okay to promote it as great for older hardware, but yes more emphasis should be placed on running it on real hardware.

Recently, I got a new decently fast pc (3ghz hyperthreading with 4 gigs ram) and vector just FLYS on this box. With WINE, I can run most windows apps, but I'm running virtualbox with windows xp for those few I can't. Runs NICE, and I love my friends faces when I show them winxp running in a linux window.

Still a dual booting machine just in case, (My security blanket) but except for work, I rarely touch a windows infected computer anymore, and I gotta say, I really like it that way. I have less headaches, less crashes and lost data, and alot less cursing too.

Unlike you Granny, I was dumb enough to find vector, then go try 100 other distros before going duuh! Vector was the best of this crowded field, and running back to it every time I tried something else. Just tried ubuntu, which didn't detect my hardware right, threw that cd-rom in the trash and reloaded vector.

Steven

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:57:29 pm by haywire » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: