VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 12:35:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Install Abiword + Gnumeric Without Samba?  (Read 2978 times)
ComputerBob

« on: June 28, 2009, 02:54:08 pm »

I'm trying to use VL 6.0 Light to recycle an old Pentium 3 with 384 MB of RAM (the maximum amount that it can take) and only a 9 GB hard drive.

The person that I'm setting it up for only needs a web browser and MS Office word processing and spreadsheet compatibility. I thought that would make it easy to setup this PC for her, but every version of Abiword and Gnumeric that I find in the default repos in Gslapt insists on installing Samba along with them.

I've never used Samba, and the person who will be using this computer will never need it either, so I hate to use up hard drive space, bandwidth, (and RAM and CPU cycles???)  to have Samba on that computer, unless Abiword and Gnumeric really need Samba -- it just seems antithetical to the whole idea of keeping VL Light "light."

Why do VL's Abiword and Gnumeric insist on installing Samba? Is there a way to install Abiword and Gnumeric on VL 6.0 Light WITHOUT also installing Samba?

As a possible alternative, if I were to install VL 6.0 standard, would it come with Abiword and Gnumeric already installed by default or are they just optional installs? It's hard for me to know for sure from what it says on this page. And if VL 6.0 Standard does come with Abiword and Gnumeric already installed, does it also come with Samba installed by default, too?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 03:30:39 pm by ComputerBob » Logged

ComputerBob.com - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
www.ComputerBob.com
ComputerBob

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 06:10:52 pm »

Update: I don't see Samba listed as a dependency for any of the versions of Abiword or Gnumeric in Gslapt with the default repos, but if I mark either one of them to be installed and then click on "Execute," Gslapt tells me that it's going to install Samba, too.  Huh

www.ComputerBob.com
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:59:08 pm »

I can only assume that Gnumeric and Abiword both rely on a certain dependency that in turn has a dependency on Samba.  I can see why you want to avoid samba, it's bigger than Abiword and Gnumeric combined.

I assume you did a custom selection of packages when you installed light, otherwise I think you would have Samba already, if you did a default install and just installed everything.

You could try this.
Do some research and find out what the true dependencies of abiword and gnumeric are.  Install those yourself with gslapt.  Hopefully you can aviod the one that is pulling in Samba.
Then download the .tlz's for Gnumeric and Abiword from the repositories directly here.
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/packages/x-apps/abiword-2.6.5-i586-1vl60.tlz
and here.
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/gsb-2.22/packages/office/gnumeric-1.8.2-i586-2gsb.tlz

If you install them with installpkg, then they will not pull dependencies.  You however will need to make sure the base dependencies are installed before hand.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
ComputerBob

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:30:34 am »

As an experiment, I just told Gslapt that I wanted to install OpenOffice.org instead of Abiword and Gnumeric, and it told me that it was going to install Samba along with OOo.

I don't understand why all of those office apps need to install Samba, but I'm not going to fight it any more. Maybe some day, someone will do us all a favor and package Abiword and Gnumeric in a way that won't require Samba, but it just isn't worth it to me to spend any more time trying to figure out how to do it myself.

So, as I type this on my Debian Squeeze PC, I'm installing Abiword and Gnumeric (with Samba) on that old Pentium 3 PC.

Thanks very much for your reply.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:33:53 am by ComputerBob » Logged

www.ComputerBob.com
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 04:29:08 am »

Yeah, there are some unfortunate dependency chains that are overly aggressive.
Just uninstall samba afterwards, use command line "removepkg samba".
ComputerBob

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 04:59:29 am »

I have to leave for most of the day, but, just to make sure everything was still all right, I rebooted that PC after installing Abiword and Gnumeric.

Instead of the normal login screen (GDM???), I got a really simple login screen that had a red nuclear explosion as its background. But I was able to login and then I was greeted with the normal IceWM desktop.

I spent awhile trying to fix that login screen issue by editing rc.X to tell it to use GDM instead of the KDM that it said it was using. When I rebooted after that, it still gave me that alternate login screen. So I logged in, went to Gslapt and saw that GDM was not installed.. So I reinstalled GDM. When I rebooted, I got the GDM login screen, but after I logged in, it told me that IceWM was no longer available. So I changed the session to XFCE, and it told me that XFCE was no longer available. Then it locked up at the GDM login screen and wouldn't let me choose or input anything, and it ignored Ctrl-Alt-Del and Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. I finally powered down the whole PC to get out of that.

Is it possible that all of that happened just from installing Abiword and Gnumeric? I can't be sure at this point, but it sure looks like it.

What a mess. Later tonight, I may blow it all away and try reinstalling from scratch, then reinstalling Abiword and Gnumeric again, to see if I can replicate those problems.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 05:18:43 am by ComputerBob » Logged

www.ComputerBob.com
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 06:17:10 am »

Reading your post I can sense your frustration about the problem. Sorry for not giving you any help as I have no clue about it. I do hope a reinstall of VL can solve your problem. Tongue
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 08:46:24 am »

Abiword and Gnumeric are Gnome apps, and as such, pull in large parts of gnome when you install them. In essence, this brings Light very close to VL Standard, which is the reason these programs were not included in Light. It might make sense to install Standard, un-check the XFCE option and remove samba if included. If LXDE is not what you want, you can get the customized Icewm version by installing the "icewmvmods" package from the testing repo.

Or, install Light, un-checking the "windows networking" (samba package), download OpenOffice:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/extra/x-apps/openoffice.org-3.0.0_en_US-i586-1vl60.tlz
and install it using the "installpkg" command.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:59:05 am »

Here's something you could try. I don't know if it'll work, but it shouldn't cause any harm.

When you run Gslapt and select Gnumeric and AbiWord, after you click Execute you'll get a screen showing what packages will be installed. Near the bottom is a box that says something like "Download packages only." Check that. The packages should be downloaded to /home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages (I think). You can then install the packages, including dependencies, with installpkg one at a time. Do not install Samba. Start Gnumeric and AbiWord from a terminal command line and see what each one complains is missing. That dependency should be in /home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages somewhere. When Gnumeric and AbiWord stop complaining about missing files, you should be all set. That's what I used to do before Gslapt pulled down dependencies and it worked fine, though of course more of a bother than having Gslapt do it all for me.

I did this recently when I installed Kino, which wanted to install a dependency I was pretty sure it didn't really need and I didn't want. I left out the unwanted dependency when I installed Kino and sure enough, it runs fine without the dependency it supposedly needed.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:02:43 am »

I'm the evil person who packaged AbiWord for VL.  If you look at the AbiSource website you'll see that the list of dependencies they now claim is needed is quite long and impressive.  I no longer classify AbiWord (or Gnumeric) as light applications.  This is also true of Slackware builds.  There just isn't any way around it.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 11:51:02 am »

If you look at the AbiSource website you'll see that the list of dependencies they now claim is needed is quite long and impressive. 

I couldn't find the dependencies listed at AbiSource or Sourceforge. They certainly are well hidden! Probably I missed something obvious, but I looked everywhere I could find something to click and found no dependencies on the site or in the Wiki.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 08:33:05 pm »

Err... sorry, they aren't on the website any longer.  If you go to their FTP server you'll see lots of them available for download, though.

There's a decent list on Slacky.eu. 

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 09:27:20 pm »

I just compiled it in VL-Light and I only had to install libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui, libgnomecups, and enchant.
My list matches the slacky.eu one pretty much exactly. Other deps like libgnomecanvas were already installed by default.

Here is my slack-required:

aaa_base >= 12.1.0-noarch-2 | glibc-solibs >= 2.7-i486-10
atk >= 1.22.0-i486-1
bzip2 >= 1.0.5-i486-1
cairo >= 1.6.4-i586-1vl60
cxxlibs >= 6.0.9-i486-1 | gcc-g++ >= 4.2.3-i486-1
enchant >= 1.4.2-i586-1vl60
expat >= 2.0.1-i486-1
fontconfig >= 2.4.2-i486-2
freetype >= 2.3.8-i586-1vl60
fribidi >= 0.10.9-i486-2
gail >= 1.22.1-i586-1gsb
gcc >= 4.2.3-i486-1
glib2 >= 2.16.3-i586-1gsb
gtk+2 >= 2.12.9-i486-1
gucharmap >= 1.10.0-i486-1
libICE >= 1.0.4-i486-1
libSM >= 1.0.3-i486-1
libX11 >= 1.1.4-i486-1
libXau >= 1.0.3-i486-1
libXcomposite >= 0.4.0-i486-1
libXcursor >= 1.1.9-i486-1
libXdamage >= 1.1.1-i486-1
libXdmcp >= 1.0.2-i486-1
libXext >= 1.0.4-i486-1
libXfixes >= 4.0.3-i486-1
libXft >= 2.1.12-i486-2
libXi >= 1.1.3-i486-1
libXinerama >= 1.0.3-i486-1
libXrandr >= 1.2.2-i486-1
libXrender >= 0.9.4-i486-1
libart_lgpl >= 2.3.20-i486-1
libglade >= 2.6.2-i486-2
libgnomecanvas >= 2.20.1.1-i586-2gsb
libgnomeprint >= 2.18.4-i586-2gsb
libgnomeprintui >= 2.18.2-i586-2gsb
libgsf >= 1.14.11-i586-1vl60
libpng >= 1.2.35-i586-1vl60
libxcb >= 1.0-i486-2
libxml2 >= 2.6.32-i486-1_slack12.1
pango >= 1.20.0-i486-1
pixman >= 0.10.0-i486-4
popt >= 1.7-i486-2
wv >= 1.2.4-i586-1gsb
zlib >= 1.2.3-i486-2

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 09:44:35 pm »

I am thinking that the software might lack some features with fewer deps, maybe some one who actually does word processing should take a look Smiley. In any case, if the lost of functionality is not big, I would vote for fewer deps.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
ComputerBob

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 04:39:43 am »

Well, just like I ended up doing with the old Dell that I wrote about in an earlier thread, I finally ended up installing Puppy 4.1.2 on the Pentium 3 PC. I just couldn't spend any more time trying to get VL Light to run on it without problems (e.g., even when it was working, it didn't display any sound mixer icon in the panel).

So I tried installing VL 6.0 Standard on that PC. Everything looked great and worked fine, but it took a relatively long time to install, everything in it ran slowly, and it took up a big chunk of that PC's relatively small hard drive.

In contrast, last night, I did a frugal install of Puppy on that PC in just a few minutes. Everything ran fast afterward, and Puppy takes up a lot less hard drive than even VL Light, even though Puppy comes with Abiword and Gnumeric already installed.

In the past several months, I've done test installations of numerous versions of Feather, Tiny Core, TinyMe, DSL, Slitaz, VL Standard, VL Light, Zenwalk, Absolute, DeLi, Wolvix, antiX, Mepis, Debian, Puppy, gOS, and probably a couple of others, trying to find a lightweight "go-to guy" Linux distro to install and customize -- I remove all of its icons and menu items except for a word processor, spreadsheet, browser, My_Documents folder and shutdown -- on the old, donated PCs that I recycle for the participants at a domestic violence center.

If I were just looking for a hobbyist distro to use on one PC for myself, it might be worth the time and effort to install, tweak and troubleshoot VectorLinux. I especially like VL 6.0 Standard. But I have a lot of people waiting for PCs, and a lot of other work to do at the DV center, so I can't afford to spend a lot of time on each PC.

Just like at least one package maintainer here, I would rather not use Puppy Linux at all. Unfortunately, at this point, it still appears to be the best choice for my particular needs.

But, in the future, I'll keep trying other distros, including any new versions of VectorLinux, looking for something to replace Puppy.

By the way, thank you very much to everyone who contributed helpful suggestions and recommendations to this thread!   Cool
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:29:52 am by ComputerBob » Logged

www.ComputerBob.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: